The importance of good web design

Research shows that we judge websites harshly and quickly.

Website design is the number one factor in making a good first impression. In a study of user behaviour, 94% of the factors for rejecting a website were design related, leaving only 6% because of content. Whilst quality content is vital in bringing visitors to your site, if your content isn’t embedded in good design you will have lost your visitor before they even begin to read.
Good web design is the single most effective method of preventing users leaving your site, based on a snap judgement.

The right website for your business needs to provide relevant content within a beautiful layout, with a fresh and modern design. When finding a website that appears dated or cluttered, a potential customer receives a poor impression about your company. Alternatively, a clean and professional web design builds credibility and trust for your brand.

Man holding mobile phone showing responsive website for an Oxford based company, designed by Oxfordshire based designer
A beautifully designed web page, showing the impact of professional Oxford website design

Don’t settle for a template that doesn’t represent your brand.

Don’t try to fit a square peg in a round hole. Template websites will be similar, if not identical, to tens of thousands of others, and their design is based on common contexts. When using a template, you have to make your brand and your content fit into the design. What you should be doing is communicating your message with design.
A custom website design is based on your unique brand. With a bespoke web build you can express your individuality, and stand out from the crowd. Gerrish Design creates custom websites, not website designs that fit into a template.

Is a ‘Web Designer’ really a designer?

The title ‘Web Designer’ is not always accurate: often, it’s applied to a person who simply knows their way around a computer. They may have sufficient IT skills to take care of the technical aspects of getting a website up and running, but more often than not they lack the right skills to deliver a quality design. Unlike a trained graphic designer – a creative professional with a solid understanding of design principles, typography, branding and marketing knowledge. Who is also a good communicator.

Many so-called web designers use a templated ‘theme’. Gerrish Design uses a website ‘builder’ theme. The key difference between the two types of themes is that website builders allow designers to do exactly what they do best — design. Instead of pre-designed assets and layouts, builder themes give designers the tools to create good-looking websites – based on your needs, your content and your brand.

If website design is the number one factor in making a good first impression, why put this in the hands of anyone but a professional designer?

Screenshot showing Divi Builder software, visual editor for professional website design
Someone looking at a mobile phone which shows a beautiful website design for an Oxford business. A good first impression is vital

The importance of good web design

Research shows that we judge websites harshly and quickly.

Website design is the number one factor in making a good first impression. In a study of user behaviour, 94% of the factors for rejecting a website were design related, leaving only 6% because of content. Whilst quality content is vital in bringing visitors to your site, if your content isn’t embedded in good design you will have lost your visitor before they even begin to read.
Good web design is the single most effective method of preventing users leaving your site, based on a snap judgement.

The right website for your business needs to provide relevant content within a beautiful layout, with a fresh and modern design. When finding a website that appears dated or cluttered, a potential customer receives a poor impression about your company. Alternatively, a clean and professional web design builds credibility and trust for your brand.

Laptop computer with a beautiful web design, designed to suit the brand, not with a template

Don’t settle for a template that doesn’t represent your brand.

Don’t try to fit a square peg in a round hole. Template websites will be similar, if not identical, to tens of thousands of others, and their design is based on common contexts. When using a template, you have to make your brand and your content fit into the design. What you should be doing is communicating your message with design.
A custom website design is based on your unique brand. With a bespoke web build you can express your individuality, and stand out from the crowd. Gerrish Design creates custom websites, not website designs that fit into a template.
Screenshot of Divi website builder software, showing how custom web designs are created, not template designs

Is a ‘Web Designer’ really a designer?

The title ‘Web Designer’ is not always accurate: often, it’s applied to a person who simply knows their way around a computer. They may have sufficient IT skills to take care of the technical aspects of getting a website up and running, but more often than not they lack the right skills to deliver a quality design. Unlike a trained graphic designer – a creative professional with a solid understanding of design principles, typography, branding and marketing knowledge. Who is also a good communicator.
Many so-called web designers use a templated ‘theme’. Gerrish Design uses a website ‘builder’ theme. The key difference between the two types of themes is that website builders allow designers to do exactly what they do best — design. Instead of pre-designed assets and layouts, builder themes give designers the tools to create good-looking websites – based on your needs, your content and your brand.

If website design is the number one factor in making a good first impression, why put this in the hands of anyone but a professional designer?

For a custom designed website that’s adaptable, functional and looks good, please contact Gerrish Design in Thame, Oxfordshire.

Contact

For more information or to discuss your next project, please contact Peter Gerrish

Gerrish Design has supported a range of local businesses throughout Oxfordshire, including Thame, Oxford, Henley, Bicester, Banbury, Wheatley, Chinnor, Chalgrove, Great Milton, Witney and Yarnton, as well as Berkshire businesses in Reading, Caversham and Twyford. Website design and WordPress support has been provided in Aylesbury, Chilton, Brill, Haddenham, Princes Risborough, Long Crendon and Marlow in Buckinghamshire.